Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day Four Journal Andy: Redwall Cavern

Tuesday, September 28, 2010, Day 4
Shinumo Wash to Upper Saddle camp-18.5 miles
Much of the group went up into Silver Grotto before launching for about 45 min. This is a unique "hike" into one of the many otherworldly spaces in the Canyon, and I would love to have gone, but had need of the time this AM for some other things. See Dan MacFarlane's post about it on Day 4 journal entry in the Macnick Adventures site for more detail and some spectacular photos.

Consequently we launched at about 10:45, and enjoyed some beautiful fun riffles, and another beautiful sunny day before arriving at Redwall Cavern just a bit before noon.I paddled this day in the Grabner with W. and the easy water was just very fun for us. We have no major rapids ahead for a couple days and I am looking forward to a bit of relatively casual travel at this point. There was a private group at Redwall C. (of commercial guides/outfitters) from Montana, a rowdy bunch to say the least, but nice, mostly. They were definitely a "beer heavy trip".After they left we had lunch and enjoyed the quiet even more.I had set our intentions as a group to make some mileage today, since the rapids were easy and far between so after lunch we put in some long hours and made it to President Harding, my minimum goal, just after 4 for a pee break and quick scout.We then pressed on and ended up at Upper Saddle Canyon camp, since the Moki Mac group we had seen on day 2 was at the lower camp. This is a very nice campsite though, and we had good fishing and a great dinner of grilled halibut from our cooler, and trout, from the river. I wish I had time for fishing, but since I don't, I am really grateful that Scott is such a willing and productive fisherman.Scott has been a great pleasure to be with and I am already regretting that he will only be with us to Bright Angel. After dinner it was so pleasant and easy to hang out around the remains of the coals from dinner, and admire the night sky. The stars are so bright and the sensation of darkness and warmth is so unusual and nice, I eventually find myself nodding off in my chair, and drag myself off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment